[Humanist] 23.701 jobs: WEME Project; language engineering for undergrads

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sat Mar 13 10:12:39 CET 2010

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    "Kirsten C. Uszkalo" <circe at ufies.org>                    (58)
        Subject: Part Time Programming Job: The WEME Project

  [2]   From:    Shuly Wintner <shuly at cs.haifa.ac.il>                      (53)
        Subject: Fwd: Summer Research for Undergrads

        Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2010 10:13:56 -0600
        From: "Kirsten C. Uszkalo" <circe at ufies.org>

> The Witches in Early Modern England (WEME) Project is looking for a =
part time Java developer experienced with working in an academic =
computing environment to work on a grant-funded, web-based application.  =
The incumbent will integrate several existing Java and Processing =
applications and web-based frameworks, such as the Google Maps API.
>=20
> This position requires a broad range of technical expertise, =
analytical skills and excellent interpersonal skills. The successful =
candidate is required to have a minimum of 3 years programming =
experience, with a strong preference for a completed four-year Computing =
Science degree.=20
>=20
> Required skills
>=20
> =B7       Java & Python in a web-based context
>=20
> =B7       Working knowledge of Processing
>=20
> =B7      Working knowledge of common databases
>=20
> =B7      Ability to quickly analyze, plan, and execute project tasks
>=20
> Desired Skills  =20
>=20
> =B7       Experience with integration of multiple web-based =
applications
>=20
> =B7       Knowledge of PHP & Perl
>=20
> =B7       Experience working on academic computing projects
>=20
> Salary: Hourly, MA/MCS scale of $20/hour
>=20
> For more information about the position, or to submit your cover =
letter, CV, and references for consideration, please contact Dr. Kirsten =
C. Uszkalo <kirsten at uszkalo.com> before March 23rd. More information =
about the WEME Project can be found at http://kirsten.uszkalo.com/weme.  =
Please feel free to redistribute this advertisement to any interested =
colleagues. All interested applicants are encouraged to apply. Due to =
funding guidelines, applicants currently authorized to work in Canada =
will be given priority.
--
Kirsten C. Uszkalo
Visiting Assistant Professor=20

Adjunct Assistant Professor
Department of English
Simon Fraser University
8888 University Drive
Burnaby, BC, V5A 1S6
kcu2 (at) sfu.ca / kirsten (at) uszkalo.com

"Sure this woman is no witch, for she speaks many good words, which the =
witches could not"

        Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2010 08:15:10 +0000
        From: Shuly Wintner <shuly at cs.haifa.ac.il>

Begin forwarded message:

> NSF-Supported Summer Research for Undergraduates
>
> The Center for Language and Speech Processing at the Johns Hopkins
> University is seeking outstanding members of the current junior
> class for a summer research workshop on language engineering from
> June 7 to July 30, 2010.
>
> The 8-week workshop provides an intense intellectual environment.
> Undergraduates work closely alongside more senior researchers as
> part of a multi-university research team, which has been assembled
> for the summer to attack some problem of current interest.  The
> teams and topics for summer 2010 are described here:
>
>    http://www.clsp.jhu.edu/workshops/ws10/internship.php
>
> We hope that this stimulating and selective experience will
> encourage students to pursue graduate study in human language
> technology, as it has been doing for many years.
>
> The summer workshop provides:
> * An opportunity to explore an exciting new area of research
> * A two-week tutorial on current speech and language technology
> * Mentoring by an experienced researcher
> * Participation in project planning activities
> * Use of a computing cluster and personal workstation
> * A $5,000 stipend and $2,520 towards per diem expenses
> * Private furnished accommodation for the duration of the workshop
> * Travel expenses to and from the workshop venue
>
> Initial applications should be received by FRIDAY, MARCH 19, 2009,
> and should include the name of a faculty nominator who would be
> willing to serve as a reference if asked.  Apply online here:
>
>    http://www.clsp.jhu.edu/workshops/ws10/internship.php
>
> Applicants are evaluated only on relevant skills, employment
> experience, past academic record, and the strength of letters of
> recommendation.  No limitation is placed on the undergraduate
> major.  Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.

The material posted is under the full responsibility of whoever posted it and under their sole responsibility and liability. The University takes no responsibility whatsoever for any material or other damage, direct or indirect, that may incur from publications in the forum and/or distribution list. Nor is it responsible for the authenticity of any data and material posted in the forum and/or distribution list, their legality, accuracy, credibility or their completeness