[Humanist] 23.698 TAToo

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Fri Mar 12 08:21:11 CET 2010

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 08:04:42 -0500
        From: Eric Lease Morgan <eric_morgan at infomotions.com>
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] Text Analysis for me Too

Peter Organisciak wrote:

> I'm writing to share the latest version of TAToo. Find it at
> http://ra.tapor.ualberta.ca/~tatoo/...
>
> I'm also curious where people stand in regards to such casual tools.
> Is there a value in combining analytics with a text for the incidental
> reader to see, or is text analysis something that is primarily useful
> for those that seek it? Between this project, certain facets of Stefan
> Sinclair's Voyeur, and the work of Brian Pytlik Zillig at
> Nebraska-Lincoln, it's definitely an area that's being considered in
> different ways.

Fun, and thanks. I've put this into my own blog. Easy.

Yes, I do think the inclusion of these sorts of tools is a good idea, if not an excellent one. The flow of data and information is only increasing. Finding it -- data and information -- is not really the problem to be solved, in my humble opinion. Instead we need tools that help, assist, and supplement our reading activities to help us evaluate and understand what we find. TAToo is a good example of such a think. Thank you.

[1] blog - http://infomotions.com/blog/

--
Eric Lease Morgan