[Humanist] 23.696 tools: text-analysis; online in class

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Thu Mar 11 07:55:22 CET 2010

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Peter Organisciak <organisc at ualberta.ca>                  (24)
        Subject: Text Analysis for me Too

  [2]   From:    James Rovira <jamesrovira at gmail.com>                      (13)
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 23.692 online tool? projects on visual
                impairment?

        Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 15:25:52 -0700
        From: Peter Organisciak <organisc at ualberta.ca>

Dear all,

I'm writing to share the latest version of TAToo. Find it at
http://ra.tapor.ualberta.ca/~tatoo/

TAToo is an embeddable, Flash-based text analysis tool. Paste a short
customized snippet of code into your website, and you're off! It's
directed toward casual web use, to give your online visitors a taste
of text analytics, with a word cloud, frequencies, concordances, and
collocates. It was developed at the University of Alberta under the
supervision of Geoffrey Rockwell and Stan Ruecker, with gratitude to
TAPoR and our early morning research group.

With this release, we've sped up processes and fixed bugs (with thanks
to reports from the Humanist community). There is also an experimental
Wordpress widget and a simplified homepage more in the spirit of the
project. We welcome additional feedback and suggestions. Currently, we
are polishing the code, so that it can be easily borrowed by others.
If you can't wait, though, the source *is* already available.

I'm also curious where people stand in regards to such casual tools.
Is there a value in combining analytics with a text for the incidental
reader to see, or is text analysis something that is primarily useful
for those that seek it? Between this project, certain facets of Stefan
Sinclair's Voyeur, and the work of Brian Pytlik Zillig at
Nebraska-Lincoln, it's definitely an area that's being considered in
different ways.

Peter Organisciak