[Humanist] 23.692 online tool? projects on visual impairment?

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Wed Mar 10 07:26:48 CET 2010

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Thomas Crombez <Thomas.Crombez at ua.ac.be>                  (12)
        Subject: Online teaching tool for images, texts, and comments

  [2]   From:    "WILLIAMS, GEORGE" <GWILLIAMS at USCUPSTATE.EDU>              (9)
        Subject: Digital humanities projects for users with visual
                impairments

        Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2010 10:06:29 +0100
        From: Thomas Crombez <Thomas.Crombez at ua.ac.be>

I am looking for an online teaching tool for a Philosophy of Art course.

Ideally, the tool would allow to:
-- post a number of images online
-- post some paragraphs of commentary (along with links to full-length texts)
-- let users insert short comments, and see them updated in real-time
(These three components would have to be presented together in a three-column layout on the landing page)
Additionally, the tool would allow to:
-- let users (students) contribute images and texts
-- let users vote images/texts up or down
-- let users contribute longer pieces of commentary through a group blog (or similar)

Any ideas for a platform or existing tool that would make this possible? I was thinking of CMS-like systems such as WordPress or Django, but I would be glad to hear about other possibilities (maybe there's already something out there like this?).

Best, Thomas Crombez