[Humanist] 23.686 collaborative data curation?

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Tue Mar 9 07:27:03 CET 2010

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2010 11:31:17 -0600
        From: Martin Mueller <martinmueller at northwestern.edu>
        Subject: Collaborative data curation in the humanities

I would like to find out more about forms of collaborative data curation in humanities projects projects that can serve scholarly and pedagogical purposes. In particular, I am interested in "dispersed annotation," as it is called by the authors of a review of similar projects in genome research, "Community annotation: procedures, protocols, and supporting tools" (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17065605).

Here are four projects, in no particular order, about which I know something. I will be very grateful to hear about others, and I will be happy to share whatever information I receive.

Distributed Proofreaders (http://www.pgdp.net/c/) engages volunteers (about 3,0000 a month) in the task of correcting transcriptional errors in Project Gutenberg texts on a page-by-page basis.

The Australian Newspapers Digitization Program (https://code.nla.gov.au/redmine/projects/show/ndp-beta)lets users correct the OCR'd article text and add or edit tags and comments.

The SUDA On Line project (http://www.stoa.org/sol/) has over the past dozen years produced translations of ~25,000 entries from the over 30,000 entries in the SUDA,  a 10th century Byzantine Greek encyclopedia of the ancient Mediterranean.

Integrating Digital Papyrology (http://idp.atlantides.org/trac/idp/wiki/DDBDP) seeks to "create a version controlled, transparent and fully audited, multi-author, web-based, real-time, tagless, editing environment, which—in tandem with a new editorial infrastructure—will allow the entire community of papyrologists to take control of the process of populating these communal assets with data."