[Humanist] 24.151 text analysis in the popular media?

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sat Jun 26 09:18:15 CEST 2010

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2010 14:28:24 -0600
        From: Mark Davies <Mark_Davies at byu.edu>
        Subject: Popular media use of text analyses

In a week or two I'm giving a conference presentation where I'd like to spend just a bit of time looking beyond "high level" corpus and text analyses to see what types of things are percolating down to the popular media (or even newspapers). So I'm looking for examples where popular media and newspapers have done informal text analyses, which are presented in user-friendly graphical format -- something like http://www.nytimes.com/ref/washington/20070123_STATEOFUNION.html, and probably more than just a  simple Wordle word cloud. If you have a link or two and might send them my way, I'll post a list of the links.

Thanks in advance,

Mark Davies

Mark Davies
Professor of (Corpus) Linguistics
Brigham Young University
(phone) 801-422-9168 / (fax) 801-422-0906
Web: http://davies-linguistics.byu.edu

** Corpus design and use // Linguistic databases **
** Historical linguistics // Language variation **
** English, Spanish, and Portuguese **