[Humanist] 24.143 the behaviourables and futuribles of a book?

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Wed Jun 23 07:31:23 CEST 2010

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2010 15:24:45 +0100
        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>
        Subject: behaviours

In "Behaviourables and Futuribles" (in Telematic Embrace: Visionary
Theories of Art, Technology, and Consciousness, ed. Shanken), originally
a poster-sized manifesto written in 1967, Roy Ascott proclaimed,

> When art is a form of behaviour, software predominates over hardware
> in the creative sphere. Process replaces product in importance, just
> as system supercedes structure.
>
> Consider the art object in its total process: a behaviourable in his
> history, a futurible in its structure, a trigger in its effect.
 > (p. 157)

Some years later, in "Table", originally published in House: The Journal
of the London Architecture Club 1.1 (1975), he wrote,

> Each person's house is a received or created analogue of his/her
> perceived or wished-for universe. The table is the analogue of the
> house. The table enables us to sit around our universe of discourse
> and to transact with one another in that universe.
>
> The components of the domestic day, the behaviours of transforming,
> unpacking, laying out, switching on or off this or that system, are
> analogues of behaviours in the wider universe. In the kitchen, a
> fork, a funnel, a container, a grater, a sieve are all *pure ideas*,
> realised in hardware, and in using them we bring into conjunction new
> assemblies of ideas.  (p. 168)

What about a book -- and what we do with it digitally?