[Humanist] 24.142 DH2010 (London): jobs and mentoring

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Wed Jun 23 07:16:49 CEST 2010

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2010 00:40:34 +0100
        From: DH2010 <dh2010 at digitalhumanities.org>
        Subject: DH2010: ACH Jobs and Mentoring Activities at Digital Humanities 2010

The following message is about the Association for Computers and the
Humanities (ACH) jobs and mentoring activities at DH2010 in London.

The ACH is committed to promoting the growth and strength of the digital
humanities community. We are especially keen to provide guidance and
opportunities to newer members of the community. In particular, we have the
following three initiatives during DH2010 that are open to all members of ADHO
associations (ACH, ALLC, SDH/SEMI):

1) ACH MENTORING PROGRAMME (ongoing)

Are you on the job market? Are you looking for general career advice in the
Digital Humanities? Do you have valuable career advice to give? If so, we hope
you'll consider participating in one of our mentoring initiatives. Here are
some of the objectives of the mentoring programme.

       * have new-comers to digital humanities meet more established
professionals
       * allow broader networking between digital humanists
       * provide professional guidance about jobs and careers
       * provide additional discipline-specific advice

If you'd like to participate in the mentoring programme as a potential mentor
or mentee, please send the following information to the email address at the
end of this message:

       - are you a potential mentor or mentee?
       - what are your areas of expertise and experience
       - if you're a mentee:
               - what would you value most from a mentor?
               - is there anyone specific you have in mind as a mentor?

2) ACH MENTORING MIXER (time and location to be announced)

This is a very casual outing where all mentors and mentees are invited to a
local pub or bar in London to chat with one another. The first round of
refreshments is offered by the ACH. We will provide more details on this event
soon.

3) JOBS SLAM – at the ACH Annual General Meeting (Friday July 9th at lunch)

During the AGM we will have an opportunity for people currently or imminently
on the job market to introduce themselves to digital humanities colleagues and
potential employers. As well, there will be an opportunity for employers to
present jobs that are currently advertised or about to be announced. Each
spoken presentation is limited to 30 seconds. This year we're also encouraging
advocates to speak (more flatteringly) on behalf of job seekers, if possible
and when desired.

If you're looking for a job or if you have a job to offer (staff or faculty),
please send the following information to the email address at the end of this
message:

       * your name, affiliation and basic contact information
       * your discipline or the discipline of your job
       * a link to other information, if available

If you're interested in any or all of the above, please email me (sgs at the
domain mcmaster.ca) or tweet me (@sgsinclair). We hope to hear from you!

On behalf of the ACH Jobs & Mentoring Committee,
Stéfan Sinclair

--

Dr. Stéfan Sinclair, Multimedia, McMaster University
Phone: 905.525.9140 x23930; Fax: 905.527.6793

--
Digital Humanities 2010
https://secure.digitalhumanities.org/