[Humanist] 24.132 Herbert Simon and computing

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sun Jun 20 11:36:04 CEST 2010

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2010 10:33:13 +0100
        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>
        Subject: Herbert Simon and computing

For those here who have an interest in how computing was shaped and
applied in the early years, where many of our ideas about it came from
and what they bring with them, I can heartily recommend Hunter
Crowther-Heyck's intellectual biography, Herbert A. Simon: The Bounds of
Reason in Modern America (Baltimore: Johns Hopkins, 2005). His chapter,
"The program is the theory" is superb, to mention one among several. I
have found in this book greater insight into Simon's ideas than anywhere
else I can recall.