[Humanist] 24.128 new on WWW: stemmatics data

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sat Jun 19 08:56:43 CEST 2010

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2010 04:20:03 +0100
        From: Peter Robinson <P.M.Robinson at BHAM.AC.UK>
        Subject: Stemmatics data: for testing phylogenetic analysis on actual manuscript traditions

As part of the Studia Stemmatalogica project (led by Tuomas Heikkilä, Teemu Roos and Petri Myllymäk of the University of Helsinki), I have prepared a page giving access to five full sets of data prepared for phylogenetic analysis: four for sections of the Canterbury Tales, one for the Old Norse Solarljod.  These datasets have been produced with exceptional care, to give the most accurate and complete portrayal of the variation in each tradition. For each dataset, we also present an expert scholarly analysis.

Our hope, in releasing this data, is to encourage researchers interested in the possibilities and challenges of the application of phylogenetic methods to stemmatics to experiment with different methods of analysis on 'real' datasets.  We would be glad to hear of any and all uses made of this data.

The data is at http://www.textualscholarship.org/newstemmatics/data/index.html.  (this address omitted in any earlier posting)

Best wishes

Peter Robinson

Institute for Textual Scholarship and Electronic Editing
Elmfield House, Selly Oak  Campus
University of Birmingham
Edgbaston B29 6LG
P.M.Robinson at bham.ac.uk<mailto:P.M.Robinson at bham.ac.uk>
p. +44 (0)121 4158441, f. +44 (0) 121 415 8376
www.itsee.bham.ac.uk http://www.itsee.bham.ac.uk/