[Humanist] 24.99 A.R.T.H.U.R. and others

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Fri Jun 11 08:44:42 CEST 2010

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 11:02:43 -0700
        From: Jascha Kessler <urim1 at verizon.net>
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 24.98 A.R.T.H.U.R.

Below, a poem I published in ENCOUNTER [London], in as I recall about 1956?
 [Later in my COLLECTED POEMS]  I assumed there would be much more powerful
"comptometers" around from IBM in a few more years, of course.

Laboratory

In this bottle you see morning

on this shelf is grass

here are specimens of turning,

nights which you must pass

love distilled from antique mirrors

tinctures made of breath

pills of joy and powdered terrors

things to ease your death

the formulas of secret fears

catalogues of dreams

the bones of hope, the flesh of tears

what is, and what seems

all, all has been found out, tested,

certified as true;

time alone must be invested:

we depend on you.

         — *Jascha Kessler***

On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 10:53 PM, Humanist Discussion Group <

--
Jascha Kessler
Telephone/Facsimile: 310.393.4648