[Humanist] 24.96 knowledge from belief

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Thu Jun 10 07:22:52 CEST 2010

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2010 10:01:37 +0200
        From: Øyvind Eide <oyvind.eide at iln.uio.no>
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 24.93 knowledge from belief

Den 7. juni. 2010 kl. 09.33 skrev Humanist Discussion Group:

> Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 24, No. 93.
> Centre for Computing in the Humanities, King's College London
> www.digitalhumanities.org/humanist
> Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org
>
> Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2010 15:45:44 -0400 (EDT)
> From: Francois Lachance <lachance at chass.utoronto.ca>
> Subject: knowledge generation from belief
>
> Willard,
>
> The protagonist of Ursula K. LeGuin's _The Telling_ comes to realize
> by
> novel's end that "belief is the wound that knowledge heals".
>
> It is a fine saying. It is also an invitation to an exercise.
>
> I wonder what subscribers to Humanist "believe" about Humanities
> Computing.
> And how such beliefs compose the pathways to knowledge.
>
> *****
>
> I pondered for a while what I believe about Humanities Computing. I
> came to
> the realization that I believe that the scholars at work in Humanities
> Computing will achieve breakthroughs at the point there is more
> general
> attention played to the topology of textual (both verbal and non-
> verbal)
> representations. As the discipline becomes more conversannt with
> geometry it
> will make truly unique contributions.

At what level do you mean? The level of sound of a voice or the marks
on paper or screen representing letters? On the level of understanding
words in the text ("London", "the other side of the river") in a
geometric way? Or something else?

> The discipline is now able to use computing to demark locations.
> However as
> Leonard Mlodinow writes in _Euclid's Window_ "The real power of a
> theory of
> locations resides in the ability to relate different locations,
> paths, and
> shapes to each other, and to manipulate them employing equations --
> in the
> unification of geometry and algebra."
>
> I believe that Humanities Computing needs to devote itself to
> shape-shifting.
>
> --Francois Lachance, Scholar-at-large
> http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~lachance

Kind regards,

Øyvind Eide
Unit for Digital Documentation, University of Oslo