[Humanist] 24.94 archiving digital scholarship

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Tue Jun 8 10:55:41 CEST 2010

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2010 16:09:59 -0500
        From: Alan Corre <corre at uwm.edu>
        Subject: Humanist 24.82 reviewing digital scholarship

I recently received an email from the Library of Congress requesting
permission to "collect" my web site on Lingua Franca and place it in its
historic collections of Internet materials. I responded positively to
this request. I was not previously aware of this activity, namely the
collection of "born-digital" materials. I will append the letter I
received, omitting only some technical details about giving the
permission. Further information may be found at
http://www.loc.gov/webarchiving/. I started my Lingua Franca site
shortly after my university made access to the web available to faculty
members and students. I published there some of my own researches, and
found that others started to offer me contributions, with the result
that the site gradually grew to its present size, and is still
increasing. I am grateful for the opportunity to have these materials
perpetuated, since I long feared that on my death someone at the
computer center would push a button and blow the whole thing away. One
wonders how they manage to find and evaluate appropriate materials among
the billions of web sites that exist, but I certainly appreciate their
initiative.

Alan D. Corre
Emeritus Professor of Hebrew Studies
University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee

***

[copy, slightly abridged]

The United States Library of Congress has selected your Web site for
inclusion in its historic collections of Internet materials. The
Library's traditional functions, acquiring, cataloging, preserving and
serving collection materials of historical importance to the Congress
and to the American people to foster education and scholarship, extend
to digital materials, including Web sites. We request your permission to
collect your web site and add it to the Library's research collections.
The following URL has been selected:

https://pantherfile.uwm.edu/corre/www/franca/go.html

With your permission, the Library of Congress or its agent will engage
in the collection of content from your Web site at regular intervals
over time and make this collection available to researchers both onsite
at Library facilities and though the Library's public Web site
http://www.loc.gov/webarchiving/. The Library hopes that you share its
vision of preserving Internet materials and permitting researchers from
across the world to access them.

Our Web Archives are important because they contribute to the historical
record, capturing information that could otherwise be lost. With the
growing role of the Web as an influential medium, records of historic
events could be considered incomplete without materials that were "born
digital" and never printed on paper. For more information about these
Web Archive collections, please visit our Web site
(http://www.loc.gov/webarchiving/).

If you have questions, comments or recommendations concerning the web
archiving of your site please e-mail the Library's Web Archiving team at
webcapture at loc.gov at your earliest convenience. Thank You.

Web Archiving Team
webcapture at loc.gov
http://www.loc.gov/webarchiving/