[Humanist] 24.168 Manifesto

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sat Jul 3 05:33:02 GMT 2010

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2010 20:48:05 +0200
        From: Marin Dacos <marin.dacos at revues.org>
        Subject: Manifesto for the Digital Humanities

Dear colleagues,

two months ago, THATCamp Paris campers wrote un Manifesto for the Digital
Humanities. You'll find the text in this message and there :
http://tcp.hypotheses.org/443

The poster is now available in paper (40X30) and PDF :
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1744854/DH%20MANIFESTO.pdf

There is a french version :
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1744854/DH%20MANIFESTE.pdf

We've been translating it in more than 10 languages :
Spanish :
http://www.digitalhumanities.cnrs.fr/wikis/tcp/index.php?title=Espagnol
German :
http://www.digitalhumanities.cnrs.fr/wikis/tcp/index.php?title=Allemand
Italian :
http://www.digitalhumanities.cnrs.fr/wikis/tcp/index.php?title=Italien
Portugues :
http://www.digitalhumanities.cnrs.fr/wikis/tcp/index.php?title=Portugais
Serbian :
http://www.digitalhumanities.cnrs.fr/wikis/tcp/index.php?title=Serbe
Modern Greek :
http://www.digitalhumanities.cnrs.fr/wikis/tcp/index.php?title=Grec_moderne

We work to translate it in Chinese, Finnish, Ancient Greek, Hebrew,
Hungrian, Latin, Polish, Russian, Swedish, vietnamese. Any help or any more
languages are welcome :
http://www.digitalhumanities.cnrs.fr/wikis/tcp/index.php?title=Traduisez_le_Manifeste

You can sign :
http://www.digitalhumanities.cnrs.fr/wikis/tcp/index.php?title=Manifeste
180 people who signed it by now : http://tcp.hypotheses.org/412

I'll bring the poster at DH2010, THATCamp London and Centernet summit.

Sincerely,
Marin Dacos
Director
Centre for open electronic publishing

Manifesto for the Digital Humanities Context

*We, professionals or observers of the digital humanities *(humanités
numériques)* came together in Paris for THATCamp on May 18th and 19th, 2010.
*

*Over the course of these two days, we discussed, exchanged, and
collectively reflected upon what the digital humanities are, and tried to
imagine and invent what they could become.*

*At the close of the camp – which represents but a first step – we propose
to the research communities, and to all those involved in the creation,
publication, valorization or preservation of knowledge, a manifesto for the
digital humanities.*

I. Definition

1. Society’s digital turn changes and calls into question the conditions of
knowledge production and distribution.

2. For us, the digital humanities concern the totality of the social
sciences and humanities. The digital humanities are not *tabula rasa*. On
the contrary, they rely on all the paradigms, *savoir-faire* and knowledge
specific to these disciplines, while mobilizing the tools and unique
perspectives enabled by digital technology.

3. The digital humanities designate a “transdiscipline”, embodying all the
methods, systems and heuristic perspectives linked to the digital within the
fields of humanities and the social sciences.

II. Situation

4. We observe:

- that experiments in the digital domain of the social sciences and
humanities have multiplied in the last half century. What have emerged most
recently are centers for digital humanities – which at the moment are
themselves only protoypes or areas of application specific to the approach
of digital humanities;

- that computational and digital approaches have greater technical, and
therefore economic, research constraints; that these constraints provide an
opportunity to foster collaborative work;

- that while a certain number of proven methods exist, they are not equally
known or shared;

- that there are many communities deriving from shared interests in
practices, tools, and various interdisciplinary goals – encoding textual
sources, geographic information systems, lexicometry, digitization of
cultural, scientific and technical heritage, web cartography, datamining,
3D, oral archives, digital arts and hypermedia literatures, etc. – and that
these communities are converging to form the field of digital humanities.

III. Declaration

5. We, professionals of the digital humanities, are building a community of
practice that is solidary, open, welcoming and freely accessible.

6. We are a community without borders. We are a multilingual and
multidisciplinary community.

7. Our objectives are the advancement of knowledge, the improvement of
research quality in our disciplines, the enrichment of knowledge and of
collective patrimony, in the academic sphere and beyond it.

8. We call for the integration of digital culture in the definition of the
general culture of the twenty-first century.

IV. Guidelines

9. We call for open access to data and metadata, which must be documented
and interoperable, both technically and conceptually.

10. We support the dissemination, exchange and free modification of methods,
code, formats and research findings.

11. We call for the integration of digital humanities education within
social science and humanities curricula. We also wish to see the creation of
diplomas specific to the digital humanities, and the development of
dedicated professional education. Finally, we want such expertise to be
considered in recruitment and career development.

12. We commit to building a collective expertise based upon a common
vocabulary, a collective expertise proceeding from the work of all the
actors involved. This collective expertise is to become a common good. It is
a scientific opportunity, but also an opportunity for professional insertion
in all sectors.

13. We want to help define and propagate best practices, corresponding to
needs identified within or across disciplines, which should derive and
evolve from debate and consensus within the communities concerned. The
fundamental openness of the digital humanities nevertheless assures a
pragmatic approach to protocols and visions, which maintains the right to
coexistence of different and competing methods, to the benefit of both
thought and practice.

14. We call for the creation of scalable digital infrastructures responding
to real needs. These digital infrastructures will be built iteratively,
based upon methods and approaches that prove successful in research
communities.

Join us! You can sign the Manifesto by adding your name on the
Wiki<http://www.digitalhumanities.cnrs.fr/wikis/tcp/index.php?title=Manifeste>(create
an account).

********

Marin Dacos
Directeur du Cléo - Centre pour l'édition électronique ouverte
CNRS - EHESS - Université de Provence - Université d'Avignon et Très grand
équipement Adonis
3, place Victor Hugo, Case n°86,
13331 Marseille Cedex 3
NOUVEAU NUMERO DE TELEPHONE : 04 13 55 03 40
Nouveau Tél. direct : 04 13 55 03 39
Nouveau Fax : 04 13 55 03 41

marin.dacos at revues.org
http://www.revues.org