[Humanist] 23.610 new book

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Fri Jan 29 07:34:39 CET 2010

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 20:34:43 +0000
        From: "mktgtwo at umn.edu" <mktgtwo at umn.edu>
        Subject: new book: What is Posthumanism?

Beyond humanism and anthropocentrism

WHAT IS POSTHUMANISM?
By Cary Wolfe
University of Minnesota Press | 392 pages | 2010
ISBN 978-0-8166-6614-0| hardcover | $75.00
ISBN 978-0-8166-6615-7| paperback | $24.95
Posthumanities Series, volume 8

Can a new kind of humanities-posthumanities-respond to the redefinition of humanity's place in the world by both the technological and the biological or "green" continuum in which the "human" is but one life form among many? Exploring this radical repositioning, Cary Wolfe ranges across bioethics, cognitive science, animal ethics, gender, and disability to develop a theoretical and philosophical approach responsive to our changing understanding of ourselves and our world.

"What Is Posthumanism? is an original, thoroughly argued, fundamental redefinition and refocusing of posthumanism. Firmly distinguishing posthumanism from discourses of the 'posthuman' or 'transhumanism,' this book will be at the center of discussion for a long time to come." - Donna Haraway, author of When Species Meet

For more information, including the table of contents, visit the book's webpage:
http://www.upress.umn.edu/Books/W/wolfe_posthumanism.html

Find more information on the Posthumanities series:
http://www.upress.umn.edu/byseries/posthumanities.html

Sign up to receive news on the latest releases from University of Minnesota Press:
http://www.upress.umn.edu/mediaalert.html
-
Heather Skinner, Publicist
University of Minnesota Press