[Humanist] 23.573 events: inaugural lecture; summer seminar

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Fri Jan 15 09:50:42 CET 2010

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>          (20)
        Subject: inaugural lecture 2 February at King's College London

  [2]   From:    Sean Latham <sean-latham at utulsa.edu>                      (40)
        Subject: NEH Summer Seminar: Magazine Modernism

        Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 12:38:17 +0000
        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>

Inaugural Lecture
2 February, 17.00, Great Hall, Strand Campus, King's College London

'Attending from and to the Machine'

Abstract

Though a graybeard verging on his institutional retirement, I celebrate
the role of computing in inaugurating investigations, my own and those
of others, into what we do not know but are curious to find out. I
celebrate computing as one of our most potent speculative instruments,
for its enabling of competent hands to force us all to rethink what we
trusted that we knew. Like generations of our wiser predecessors, I
celebrate learning for its own sake, but by other means than they had. I
celebrate our responsibilities to those whom we teach, not merely to
prepare them for the world as it is but more to open up, with the help
of computing, "the alternativeness of human possibility".