[Humanist] 23.559 why history?

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Mon Jan 11 10:14:13 CET 2010

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 09:13:09 +0000
        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>
        Subject: why history?

I am looking for strongly positive statements about the value of
studying and writing history. I'd prefer something far more positive
than Santayana's “Those who ignore history are compelled unknowingly to
relive it”, from Reason in Common Sense (1905: 284), to counterbalance
Stephen Daedalus' “History... is a nightmare from which I am trying to
awake”, Ulysses I, and Karl Marx's "The tradition of all the dead
generations weighs like a nightmare on the brain of the living [wie ein
Alp auf dem Gehirne der Lebenden],” The Eighteenth Brumaire of Louis
Bonaparte (1852).

Any suggestions?

Thanks.