[Humanist] 23.543 a correction & an announcement

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Thu Jan 7 09:19:59 CET 2010

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    "Christopher J. Mackie" <CJM at mellon.org>                  (11)
        Subject: RE: [Humanist] 23.538 - "Mellon closes down Mackie's
                program"

  [2]   From:    I-CHASS <chass at ncsa.uiuc.edu>                             (19)
        Subject: I-CHASS and NCSA Project Awarded Funding from NSF

        Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2010 18:51:00 -0500
        From: "Christopher J. Mackie" <CJM at mellon.org>
        Subject: RE: [Humanist] 23.538 - "Mellon closes down Mackie's program"

Richard (and Willard and colleagues); My sincere thanks for thinking of me in the alert regarding Mellon's decision regarding the RIT program, but in the interests of accuracy I must note that, as the _Chronicle_ article mentions, the Program in Research in Information Technology was founded and led by Ira Fuchs, as whose Associate Program Officer I was privileged to serve from 2006 until this past Monday.

Perhaps Ira will be no more excited than I am about appearing in this particular headline, but I think it is important that he be accorded full credit for his leadership and the many contributions he has made (and I expect will continue to make) to the digital humanities and to computing in general.

All best,  --Chris

Christopher J. Mackie
The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation
+1 212.838.8400 (office: GMT - 5:00)