[Humanist] 23.541 the next big thing

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Thu Jan 7 09:16:41 CET 2010

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2010 10:14:58 -0600
        From: Patricia Galloway <galloway at ischool.utexas.edu>
        Subject: the next big thing

A little belatedly, I'll point out that when I first started going to
the Society of American Archivists meetings in the late 1990s, digital
archiving was very much in the corner; now it constitutes much of the
program at this largest meeting for the archives discipline in the US.
So when digital humanists have things to save, the archives will be
there; and when digital humanists want to work with digital texts and
other media, hopefully they will already be safe and available. In other
words, the infrastructure is being built, as a result of government and
business needs and with the participation of major libraries and
collecting archives. And with funding from IMLS, we are beginning to
send digital archives and digital library graduate students to digital
humanities centers for internships to begin making these connections
real--see: http://www.ischooldh.org/

Pat Galloway
School of Information
University of Texas at Austin