[Humanist] 23.530 AI and other kinds of intelligence

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sat Jan 2 08:42:40 CET 2010

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2009 08:03:14 -0800 (PST)
        From: Laval Hunsucker <amoinsde at yahoo.com>
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 23.528 AI and other kinds of intelligence

> Comment?

OK, very quickly.

Willard,

I've got  little ( presumably less than you, anyway )
problem with chisels or hammers ;  but more with
ideas ( forecasts ) like :  ". . . to be no more con-
scious of the computer than we are of the pencil or
the telephone". ( When are we ever gonna get
*there* ? ;  he was speaking twenty-five years ago,
and it's not just a usability thing either. )  Also a
problem with the suggestion that such is "the aim
of their [ the experts' ] enterprise" ;  *do they* look
at it that way ?  Oh well, he *was* ( only ) a profes-
sor of English and university president :-).

I also wonder how many good theoretical physicists
( for example ) would not claim that much -- even
all ? -- of what Chace attributes to art in the passage
"Art is nothing if not . . .. Thus art’s pleasure.", in the
second paragraph  of your quoted excerpt, applies,
as well, to their own fields.

> Exactly what is being denied or dismissed?

The notion that most any of us could develop a
reasonably good grasp of how a pencil *really*
works, should we be inclined actually to inquire
into the matter ? ;-)

Anyway, :

Happy Sylvester, Silvester, New Year or whatever,
to all list-followers -- however they may ( or may
not ) celebrate it.

- Laval Hunsucker
  Antwerpen, België