[Humanist] 23.578 tools and lists

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Tue Jan 19 06:14:20 GMT 2010

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>          (28)
        Subject: teaching beginners

  [2]   From:    Sterling Fluharty <phdinhistory at gmail.com>               (105)
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 23.576 lists and curating?

        Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2010 10:04:29 +0000
        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>

Like Susan Brown (in Humanist 23.574) I particularly favour very simple,
off-the-shelf tools that give a beginner some insight into computing.
For a number of years I have been teaching a course at MA-level called
"Corpus-analysis of text". Almost all of the students I get are at or
very close to beginner's level -- otherwise, as you'd expect, quite
bright and sophisticated, but not adept with tools. The aim of this
course is (borrowing a phrase from Ian Hacking) to "clear a space" for
the literary computing by considering what nearby fields do with
computers and text -- i.e. computer science (computational linguistics,
natural language processing), lexicography and corpus linguistics --
then to ask what's not being done from a literary perspective that might
be done. To get them started I have them use Michael Barlow's Monoconc,
which any moderately intelligent person can learn in about 10 minutes.

There's another reason I stick to the simplest of tools. It's not just
that these beginners would be stumped by Perl or Python, say, it's that
their attention would be diverted from the intersection of the literary
problem with computing to tool-making itself. For them I want the
struggle to be focused on that intersection and with a specific literary
problem. I want them to get very frustrated with what elegant Monoconc
cannot do. I want them not to be seduced by the problem-solving
paradigm, which does so much damage to our cause.