[Humanist] 23.664 cyberspace and alienation

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sun Feb 28 09:34:20 CET 2010

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 09:57:40 +0000
        From: James Cronin <jgrcronin at gmail.com>
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 23.658 cyberspace and alienation?

Dear Stephen,

You may consider exploring the work of Howard Gardner, Hobbs Professor
of Cognition and Education at the Harvard Graduate School of
Education, especially his work with the GoodPlay Project, an ongoing
study that explores the ways in which young people’s use of
social-networking sites, blogging, online games, and other forms of
digital media are shaping their “ethical minds”. Carrie James has
edited a report on the project’s progress to date entitled: Young
People, Ethics, and the New Digital Media: A Synthesis from the Good
Play Project (MIT Press, 2009). This report considers formation of the
social self through online communication. For an overview of the
GoodPlay Project visit
http://www.goodworkproject.org/research/digital.htm.
The forthcoming symposium at Oxford University, Beyond Borders: the
place of research institutions in open educational resources taking
place on 20th April, is well worth attending see
http://www.oucs.ox.ac.uk/ltg/events/beyond2010/
Good luck with this interesting project.

Regards,
James G. R. Cronin,
History of Art & Centre for Adult Continuing Education,
University College Cork, Ireland.
http://www.ucc.ie/en/StaffWebsites/JamesGRCronin/

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 8:58 AM, Humanist Discussion Group