[Humanist] 23.663 Yale, the past and the future

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sun Feb 28 09:32:12 CET 2010

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>          (24)
        Subject: parallels to Yale?

  [2]   From:    Amanda Gailey <amanda.gailey at gmail.com>                   (46)
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 23.659 Yale, the past and the future

  [3]   From:    "Joe Raben" <joeraben at cox.net>                            (1)
        Subject: Yale, the past and future

        Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 08:07:20 +0000
        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>

The thought has circulated for years that as a field the digital
humanities bears some structural resemblance to comparative literature,
i.e. that comp-lit and digital humanities have similar institutional
qualities. This leads me to wonder about the establishment of comp-lit
as an institutional entity, in particular because of the discussion of
the Yale conference, whether similar things happened when it became an
academic entity. Did it show up late at places like Yale after there had
been departments, centres or quasi-departments at less prestigious
institutions, and if so, did its institutionalization there make a big
difference? Are there other, perhaps closer parallels for us to consider?

I recall that at Toronto the three senior professors who began comp-lit
(this includes Northrop Frye) had first to teach it informally, on their
own time, and then to resign or threaten to do so for the administration
finally to recognize it. At King's College London it remains a programme
rather than a department. In particular instances it would be
interesting to know how comp-lit has established its particular identity
as a discipline.