[Humanist] 23.662 events: Day of Digital Humanities; Balisage discount

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Thu Feb 25 08:36:51 CET 2010

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Julia Flanders <Julia_Flanders at brown.edu>                 (71)
        Subject: Balisage discount for digital humanists

  [2]   From:    Geoffrey Rockwell <geoffrey.rockwell at ualberta.ca>         (15)
        Subject: Day of Digital Humanities

        Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 09:03:56 -0500
        From: Julia Flanders <Julia_Flanders at brown.edu>

The ACH, ALLC, and SDH-SEMI are very pleased to be co-sponsors of the
upcoming Balisage conference in August 2010. A detailed call for
participation is below. As a special benefit, members of all three
associations will receive a discount of up to US$200 on conference
registration--just indicate that you are a member when you register.

Balisage offers student support awards; details are available at http://www.balisage.net/special/students.html

This is a wonderful conference in a marvellous city--we encourage you
to take advantage of the membership discount and attend!

Julia Flanders
on behalf of ACH, ALLC, and SDH-SEMI

Call for Participation
Balisage: The Markup Conference 2010

Got Markup? (of course you do!)

Want to get more out of it? Want to stretch it to the limit? Come to
Balisage 2010, the peer-reviewed conference that makes you a markup
geek (or at least feel like one)! Whether you're into theory or
practice, this is the place to be to find out where the cutting edge
is-and go beyond it. Balisage looks at every aspect of markup, from
its theoretical and philosophical underpinnings to the newest and
coolest ways of applying it to real-world problems.

Got Something To Say About Markup? (of course you do!)

We want to hear from you at Balisage 2010. We welcome submissions on
any aspect of markup and structured information in theory or practice,
generic or application specific, including by not limited to:

  * principles for the design, development, and documentation of
    markup vocabularies
  * applications of XML, Topic Maps, and related specifications
  * use or implementation of XSLT, XQuery, XProc, and other tools for
    processing marked up data
  * XML and databases
  * libraries and designs for supporting XML (or other forms of
    descriptive markup) in general-purpose programming languages
  * efficiency in XML processing
  * techniques for quality assurance in markup systems
  * handling overlapping structures in markup
  * alternatives to XML
  * formal models of markup and structured information
  * principles and practice of data validation (including uses of XSD,
    Relax NG, Schematron, and other schema languages)
  * best practice in the organization of XML workflows
  * problems of data longevity and reusability
  * fundamental principles of information structure and organization
  * achieving interoperability in applications of common vocabularies

How:
  Submit full papers in XML to info at balisage.net
  Guidelines, DTDs, schemas, and details at
     http://www.balisage.net/submissions.html
  Apply to the Peer Review panel
     http://www.balisage.net/peer/ReviewAppForm.html

More Information:
  Read about Balisage: http://www.balisage.net
  Sign up for the Markup conference announcement list:
     http://www.balisage.net/MarkupAnnounce.html
  Follow Balisage on Twitter: http://twitter.com/balisage

Schedule:

  19  March 2010 - Peer review applications due
  16  April 2010 - Paper submissions due
  16  April 2010 - Applications due for student support awards
  20  May 2010 - Speakers notified
   9  July 2010 - Final papers due
   2  August 2010 - Pre-conference Symposium
  3-6 August 2010 - Balisage: The Markup Conference

Help make Balisage your favorite XML Conference. See you in Montréal!

Balisage: The Markup Conference 2010          mailto:info at balisage.net
August 3-6, 2010                               http://www.balisage.net
pre-conference symposium: August 2, 2010              Montreal, Canada