[Humanist] 23.661 on WWW: interface ecology; open-source history

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Thu Feb 25 08:35:32 CET 2010

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>          (29)
        Subject: interface ecology

  [2]   From:    renata lemos <me at renatalemos.org>                         (20)
        Subject: Can History be Open Source? Wikipedia and the Future of the
                Past

        Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 11:34:38 +0000
        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>

This is to draw your attention to the work of the Interface Ecology Lab,
Texas A&M University, www.ecologylab.net. On a recent visit to Texas A&M
I was fortunate enough to be shown a couple of projects, both of which
were seriously impressive. The current state of one of these projects,
combinFormation, is described thus:

> a mixed-initiative system that uses composition for browsing,
> collecting, and arranging information samples from web pages. The
> samples act as visual, semiotic, and navigational surrogates for the
> documents from which they are extracted. The initiatives are the
> system's generation of composition, and the user's direct
> manipulation. The system's generative actions -- collecting
> information samples, and composing them visually -- are conducted
> iteratively, based on a user model. The system presents the ongoing
> generation of the composition to the user in an interactive
> information space. In this space, one of the user's initiatives is to
> directly manipulate the composition through interactive design
> operations, which enable samples to be displaced, layered, annotated,
> and removed. The user can also express positive or negative interest
> in each sample. Expressions of interest affect the model, creating a
> feedback loop through the visualization.

There's a link to the tool, with a YouTube video (which should not be
run when being quiet is a good idea).