[Humanist] 23.659 Yale, the past and the future

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Thu Feb 25 08:34:07 CET 2010

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Kathy Harris <drkatherineharris at yahoo.com>                (61)
        Subject: Re: [Bulk] [Humanist] 23.653 Yale, the past and the future

  [2]   From:    Wendell Piez <wapiez at mulberrytech.com>                    (54)
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 23.653 Yale, the past and the future

        Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 07:38:09 -0800
        From: Kathy Harris <drkatherineharris at yahoo.com>

I'm intrigued by Willard and Amanda's comments on the Yale Symposium for
Graduate Students and the evolution of Digital Humanities.  Though both are
absolutely right in their suppositions (that Digital Humanities has been
around long enough to become a mainstay and that private Ivies are getting
involved signals to the rest of the community some validity), I think
there's some short-sighted celebration about the extension of Digital
Humanities from or into 2nd and 3rd tier U.S. universities.  This may be
true for 2nd and 3rd tier Research I institutions, but we are still
grappling with issues of funding, authority and networking for Digital
Humanities at teaching institutes.

 This is a question I repeatedly ask at the MLA panels: do the centers and
bastions of Digital Humanities have an obligation to bring along their
"lesser" public institutions? Indeed, I've been attending and struggling to
pull my university to Project Bamboo meetings for the past 2 years.  Most of
the university and the Cal State system has a profound distrust of Digital
Humanities or Digital Studies. What is its purpose? Who is funding it? Are
faculty really interested if they have to teach a 4-course load? (The
question should be "how do they have time to do this "extra" work if they
teach so much?") How does it align with the mission of a teaching
university. (And, yes, I realize that some teaching institutions are
involved in DH; but, really, those tiny few aren't enough to convince deans
of the movement's veracity.)

Willard writes: "research programme for which it is directly, primarily
responsible. That vigour is now widely distributed. Now we very much need
the socially strongest castles to pull up the portcullis and throw open the
gate. As Amanda more or less said, many of us have been working for years
toward the point at which scholarship in digital humanities becomes as an
unremarkable a possibility as any other of the older kinds. And I for one
have been waiting a long time to witness the more slowly moving institutions
get there."

There are pockets of faculty acting independently at some teaching
institutions, but there has not been a move at the organizational level to
push into teaching institutes.

And, I'm still waiting for my teaching institute to fully accept DH: in T&P
issues, in funding my research, in giving me time to play with the tools in
the classroom.  After 5 years, I still struggle with convincing my
Department that this facet of my research and teaching is innovative and
authoritative -- everyday, people, everyday.  So, before we declare that the
gate has been thrown open, let's think about the broader version of higher
education, please.

Kathy

**************************
Dr. Katherine D. Harris
Editor, Forget Me Not Hypertextual Archive
http://www.orgs.muohio.edu/anthologies/FMN/

Assistant Professor
Department of English & Comparative Literature
San Jose State University
One Washington Square
San Jose, CA 95192-0090

Email: katherine.harris at sjsu.edu