[Humanist] 23.658 cyberspace and alienation?

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Wed Feb 24 09:58:47 CET 2010

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 14:34:04 -0000
        From: "Stephen Woodruff" <s.woodruff at arts.gla.ac.uk>
        Subject: cyberspace, alienation

Horrible combination of words.
I'm looking for up-to-date work on whether or how people's (especially
young adults) use of cyberspace leads to greater feelings of alienation
from their family or other real life groups, and whether it leads to
greater identification with other groups in society, for positive or
negative reasons.
I'd appreciate suggestions of readings: most of what I've found predates
the social networking surge which I think has taken such activity from
the nerdish to the mainstream.

Stephen Woodruff
Humanities Advanced Technology & Information Institute
11 University Gardens
University of Glasgow
Glasgow G12 8QQ
Scotland/UK