[Humanist] 23.649 Yale, the past and the future

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Tue Feb 23 09:57:10 CET 2010

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 13:37:04 -0600
        From: Amanda Gailey <amanda.gailey at gmail.com>
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 23.647 events: at Yale (past), at the MLA (future)

Willard,

I appreciated your post about the Yale graduate conference.  I am writing,
though, to offer a different perspective on Ed Ayers's comment (for which I
lack context) that the conference--where talented graduate students at an
Ivy League institution publicly presented on digital humanities-- was a
"watershed" moment.

As someone for whom graduate school isn't too distant a memory (I've been
done for about four years), I find that the "watershed" comment overlooks
the work that many grad students have been doing at non-Ivy schools for
several years now.  A wave of us--well, maybe a ripple more than a
wave--have been presenting our work on DH as students for quite a while.
Importantly, many of us who did not attend Ivy League schools and who
professionally defined ourselves as digital humanists before it became an
MLA buzzword were arguably taking many more risks.

I know I'm preaching to the converted as I address this email to you, but I
think it's important to note on the public record. To my mind it is much
more interesting to observe that universities such as Nebraska and Georgia
have been offering DH opportunities to grad students for years now while
more prominent programs typically have been reluctant to jump in.  Frankly,
I view the late arrival of the Ivies as a worrisome indicator that DH will
soon be locked down by the same tired socio-economic gatekeeping mechanisms
that prevent many people with talent from succeeding at so many other
academic disciplines.  I say this not at all to denigrate what is surely
fine work coming from those schools, and even perhaps from students and
staff who can relate rags-to-riches stories of their academic career paths.
I simply want to suggest that to my mind, the conference may be a watershed,
but not because DH has finally earned the benediction of the Ivies. Instead,
it is quite possible that a hitherto unproven field, within which smart
people not housed at the most selective and expensive universities could
actually earn influence and rewards, is becoming less egalitarian.

Best,
Amanda

On Sun, Feb 21, 2010 at 7:14 AM, Humanist Discussion Group <

--
Amanda Gailey
Assistant Professor