[Humanist] 23.643 "their" not "they're"

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sun Feb 21 13:51:57 CET 2010

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2010 09:41:44 +0100
        From: Guido Milanese <guido.milanese at unicatt.it>
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 23.640 "their" not "they're"

As a native speaker of another language, not of English, I notice this
kind of "confusions" quite often, probably because being a foreigner I
read English a bit slower than a native speaker. One among these
frequent mistakes impresses me as being probably a real mistake: -its-
versus -it's-, for example

<cite>
it's most important feature is...
</cite>

This is quite common also in the documentation of computer programmes.
It may be worth a little research, if not already done.

Best regards,
GM
--
Guido Milanese - Professor of Latin
The Catholic University, Milan and Brescia, Italy