[Humanist] 23.641 The CSHE/Mellon report

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Thu Feb 18 14:40:47 CET 2010

Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

[1]   From:    John Laudun <jlaudun at mac.com>                             (15)
Subject: Re: [Humanist] 23.637 new report: the future of
scholarly communication

[2]   From:    Diane Harley <dianeh at berkeley.edu>                       (105)
Subject: Re: [Humanist] 23.639 CSHE/Mellon report on scholarly
communication

Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2010 07:14:47 -0600
From: John Laudun <jlaudun at mac.com>
Subject: Re: [Humanist] 23.637 new report: the future of scholarly communication

On 2010-02-13, at 24:20 , Humanist Discussion Group wrote:

> The final report brings together the responses of 160 interviewees across 45,
> mostly elite, research institutions in seven selected academic fields

Sigh. It's the mercenary nature of these documents that I find so sad. By focusing on elite institutions, they maneuver to make their reports into "bench marking" documents that will receive widespread attention and application, especially by administrators and faculty members in institutions further down the food chain of the academy. The irony, of course, is that they survey the master masons of the cathedral about their use the very set of technologies that are all about the bazaar happening in the town square. The conversations at the Project Bamboo workshops proved on a regular basis that a fair amount of innovation does indeed happen on the margins.

Will I read this document in full? Yes. Will I use it for quotable quotes to help digital humanities efforts at my little hybrid university on the margins of the academy as established by this very document? Yes. I will do so in in the same mercenary fashion that the authors of these survey appear to have created this document. In so doing, the reigning order will largely been confirmed.

Sigh.

john

--
John Laudun