[Humanist] 24.622 more than the cuts

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Fri Dec 31 07:10:49 CET 2010

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2010 22:15:26 +0100
        From: Claire Clivaz <claire.clivaz at unil.ch>
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 24.619 more than the cuts

Dear Willard,

I agree with you that the main challenge is probably our lack of imagination. How can we reshape our institutional habits and academic modes of production and evaluation? We have probably in front of us an amount of new possibilities - even in financial terms. But it takes always time and efforts to change the habits.

Let's think for example to the usual modes of scholarly publication: as academic author, I have never received any money for my monographs or collected essays. It seems normal. But this situation could change, if we begin to produce scholarly applications, for example. We need only a collaboration between an engineer and an academic author to produce it; the resulting benefits could then be shared 50-50%.

The Universities could in fact be the new publishers, with international editorial boards for each thematic serie, and some editorial «logos» such as “@Princeton”, “@King'sCollege”, etc. The series could be called: “FrenchLiterature at Princeton”, “Archeology at Cambridge”, etc.

To be honest, the future role of our usual editors is not really clear for me: this impression is also linked to the fact that they are, in Humanities, quite slow to react to the electronic new market. They principally serve to give a «certification» to the best academic productions, but such processes can probably be recomposed around the academic institutions.

Just think what it would mean if the 50% of the benefits created by the scholarly publications could be returned to the Universities, and be used for further researches...

Happy New Year to all!

Claire Clivaz (Lausanne, CH)