[Humanist] 24.619 more than the cuts

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Tue Dec 28 09:06:37 CET 2010

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2010 16:47:53 +0000
        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>
        Subject: more dangerous than the cuts

Those here who have been following the outcries against the cuts to
higher education in the U.K. will want to read Simon Head's article in
the latest issue of the New York Review of Books, "The Grim Threat to
British Universities",
www.nybooks.com/articles/archives/2011/jan/13/grim-threat-british-universities/.

Places in the world that are more favourable to research will benefit from the
inevitable migration of talent. But let me ask again: would it not be wise to
consider ways of working and problems on which to work that do not depend
on large-scale institutional support? We do not any longer need computer
centres, at least for raw computing power. Communication networks may be
assumed. Storage is cheap. There are exceptions, of course, but starting to
make such a list leads me to think that resources aren't really the problem.
I am led to think that imagination, or the lack of it, is -- that what matters is
what we know to desire. Good resources help, of course. But what good are
they if we're thinking that a job at the end of education is the target?