[Humanist] 24.615 dreams fulfilled & stories told

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Fri Dec 24 10:49:09 CET 2010

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    amsler at cs.utexas.edu                                      (38)
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 24.613 our dreams fulfilled?

  [2]   From:    Jascha Kessler <urim1 at verizon.net>                       (146)

  [3]   From:    lachance at chass.utoronto.ca                                (14)
        Subject: Re: happy Christmas!

        Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2010 10:40:16 -0600
        From: amsler at cs.utexas.edu

I could state the Jay Leno sarcastic joke that "this is exactly what
China needs... a way to employ fewer people"

There are two global trends that are leading us into the future...
Globalization and Technology. Globalization moves jobs to where labor
is least expensive. Technology eliminates the need for human labor.
Combined together they highlight that we had better solve the problems
of the cost and sustainability of energy supplies and food
availability else people will become a liability rather than an asset.
A few breakthroughs could do it.

What breakthroughts?... Energy costs so low that they aren't worth
billing for, for one. This sounds impossible to imagine, but I would
point out that this is exactly what happened to computation with the
creation of personal computers.

In the beginning computation cost money per CPU cycle. Computers were
big boxes run by big organizations that charged money to pay for
access.  Somewhere along the way it was discovered that the very means
of generating computation could be made so cheaply that one didn't
need to build up computation centers the way we built up power
stations. If the microprocessor and fiber optics and a few other
technologies hadn't been discovered we'd all be accessing
computational power over telephone lines connected through our TV sets
and paying for it by the computational cycle and byte delivered
(Hummm. Sounds like cable-TV today)

Today we generate electricity at big facilities that charge for its
access and delivery. If we discovered how to generate sufficient power
in small devices at home, we could dismantle the whole electrical
grid. Your energy costs would be based on buying your own generating
equipment and paying for whatever it needed as inputs--and if those
inputs were sustinable natural sources--then energy itself would be
free. "Sufficient power" is the key. If you can't increase the energy
produced, reduce the energy consumed. E.g., enter the solar-powered
hand-held calculator.

Anyway. It sounds like a suitably happy future to contemplate at this
time of the year, and frankly the only one that seems to break us out
of the globalization and technology trends continuously reported in
the news that seem to be driving us toward a much less desirable
destination.

Happy holidays.