[Humanist] 24.556 hardware; privacy

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Mon Dec 6 07:45:49 CET 2010

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Patrick Durusau <patrick at durusau.net>                     (62)
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 24.553 hardware? privacy?

  [2]   From:    maurizio lana <m.lana at lett.unipmn.it>                     (27)

        Date: Sun, 05 Dec 2010 06:51:20 -0500
        From: Patrick Durusau <patrick at durusau.net>

Willard,

<snip>

> One very interesting phenomenon in this regard is the deliberate
> avoidance by terrorists of high-tech communication networks, all too
> easily penetrated. This makes me wonder, among scholars nowadays is
> there any tendency for people deliberately to avoid being connected?
> I do know that academics who become famous often tend these days
> either to claim not to have an e-mail address or to employ someone to
> run interference for them. Anthropologists and others who do fieldwork
> are sometimes out of touch for long periods; I wonder, do they enjoy
> the isolation? But I am really asking about the less well-known stay-
> at-homes, those (if there are any) who unplug to avoid the distraction,
> or who avoid checking their e-mail (attesting to a level of self-control
> I admire but cannot manage).

Perhaps the best known case of someone forsaking email is Donald Knuth
(The Art of Computer Programming, TeX and several other major
contributions), who said:

> I have been a happy man ever since January 1, 1990, when I no longer
> had an email address. I'd used email since about 1975, and it seems to
> me that 15 years of email is plenty for one lifetime.
>
> Email is a wonderful thing for people whose role in life is to be on
> top of things. But not for me; my role is to be on the bottom of
> things. What I do takes long hours of studying and uninterruptible
> concentration. I try to learn certain areas of computer science
> exhaustively; then I try to digest that knowledge into a form that is
> accessible to people who don't have time for such study.

>         `I don't even have an e-mail address. I have reached an age
>         where my main purpose is not to receive messages.' --- Umberto
>         Eco, quoted in the New Yorker
>
> Sometimes I do send email, through my secretary, with respect to the
> project I'm currently working on, when I believe that the recipient
> won't be bothered by my request. But I hope you can understand why I
> am almost always unhappy to receive unsolicited email myself. Thank
> you for your patience and cooperation as I try to finish The Art of
> Computer Programming (TAOCP), a work that I began in 1962 and that I
> will need many years to complete. In return, I promise not to send
> unwelcome email requests to you.

http://www-cs-faculty.stanford.edu/~uno/email.html

Which raises the question:

Does lack of email = existing in isolation? Have they stopped publishing
journals, books, conference proceeding? Are there no articles or books
to be writing?

Hope you are at the start of a great week!

Patrick

PS: My primary use of email, other than as a standards editor, is to
become aware of new publications (electronic and otherwise), projects,
etc.
--
Patrick Durusau
patrick at durusau.net