[Humanist] 24.551 open source vs social software

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sun Dec 5 12:06:08 CET 2010

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2010 17:42:38 +0100
        From: Joris van Zundert <joris.van.zundert at huygensinstituut.knaw.nl>
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 24.545 open source vs social software

Huh? Err... no.

There's absolutely nothing slippery here, and there's imho no reason for
redefinition. Richard Lewis is quite right. You can not equate the terms
"Web 2.0 technologies", "social software", and "open source software", as
any somewhat informed 'digital humanist' and certainly any developer would
be able to point out.

Web 2.0 technologies is basically AJAX (Asynchronous Javascript And XML)
which allows part of XHTML page to be updated rather than full page round
tripping. This gave us very nice possibilities to create highly usable web
applications rather than web pages.

Social software may be loosely defined as web applications that allow people
to network, share and publish their own information.

Open Source is any software the code of which under specific licensing may
be freely read and in many cases reused by other developers.

The three can live very well next to each other, not even touching, as it
were. They also can build upon each other, sure. But they are quite clearly
defined and very much separate distinctions. And honestly, I feel that any
redefinition would not be really up to the realm of digital humanities.

All the best
-- Joris

On Sat, Dec 4, 2010 at 9:30 AM, Humanist Discussion Group <

--
Mr. Joris J. van Zundert (MA)
Alfalab / Huygens Institute IT R&D Team

Contact information at http://www.huygensinstituut.knaw.nl/vanzundert