[Humanist] 24.549 events: HASTAC 2011

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sat Dec 4 09:41:43 CET 2010

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2010 11:16:43 -0500
        From: hastac-web at duke.edu
        Subject: HASTAC 2011 Conference Rescheduled

*The HASTAC 2011 International Conference has been rescheduled. It will now
be held December 2-3, 2011. *

Our HASTAC network at the University of Michigan, led by our Steering
Committee member Daniel Herwitz, and with regional assistance from SC member
Julie Klein (Wayne State), has been meeting to plan for next year's HASTAC
International Conference. It's still a year away but they have confirmed a
date so you can mark your calendars: December 2-3, 2011. This conference
promises to be bold, wide-ranging, and urgent. You won't want to miss it!
The event will be held in the North Quadrangle at University of Michigan, a
new center of digitally and technologically-driven units at UM, from Screen
Arts and Cultures to the School of Information, including living-learning
dorms, classrooms, interactive meeting areas, and other innovative spaces.
The theme, Digital Scholarly Communication, will unfold in its most
expansive version, as a collaboration of various departments, the Sweetland
Writing Center, the Library, and the newly inaugurated digital press (hosted
at the Library), including DigitalCulture Books (and the HASTAC
first-publication prize too). The conference will feature many north-south
international projects (such as the Law and Slavery project), with a focus
on issues of changes in language and thinking in the internet-bred
generation, issues around innovation in the Ph.D. and graduate education
more generally, issues of equality, inequality, access (globally and
nationally), circulation, and representation, all of the broadest and most
incisive issues of scholarly communication (moral, social, legal,
conceptual, and international in scope).  NEH Chariman Jim Leach will speak
on Dec. 2nd.

In the coming months, we will be hearing much more about this conference,
but we wanted to share this breaking news with you now. Enormous thanks to
all of those at the University of Michigan who are already thinking ahead to
make this our best HASTAC conference ever. We'll all be hearing  more over
the months ahead. Stay tuned!

--To opt-out of these messages or change your address, simply edit your profile
and group e-mail settings at www.hastac.org/user/2882/edit [1]. If you don't
know your password, go to www.hastac.org/user/password [2] and enter your
address: nancy.kimberly at duke.edu [3].

[1] https://www.hastac.org/user/2882/edit