[Humanist] 24.538 trading off

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Fri Dec 3 10:51:45 CET 2010

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2010 11:45:03 -0500
        From: Alan Galey <galey.lists at gmail.com>
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 24.534 trading off?

Dear Willard and all,

The literature on forgetting is pretty huge (from what I remember of
it...), and early modernists in particular have been intently focused
on this topic in recent years. One of my favorite statements on the
value of forgetting -- and of a specifically material kind of
forgetting -- comes from Vives, writing around 1531:

“if everything written by those old philosophers, historians, orators,
poets, physicians, theologians, had reached this age, then we could
put nothing but books in our houses; we should have to sit on books;
we should have to walk on the top of books; our eyes would have to
glance over nothing but books”

Juan Luis Vives, On Education, trans. Foster Watson (Totowa, NJ:
Rowman and Littlefield, 1971), p. 45.

Some other sources worth reading include:

Eco, Umberto. “An Ars Oblivionalis? Forget It!” PMLA 103.3 (1988): 254-61.

Sullivan, Garrett A., Jr. Memory and Forgetting in English Renaissance
Drama: Shakespeare, Marlowe, Webster. (Cambridge, 2005). [esp. his
chapter "Embodying Oblivion"]

Forgetting in Early Modern Literature and Culture: Lethe’s Legacies.
Ed. Christopher Ivic and Grant Williams. London: Routledge, 2004.

These are just the tip of a pretty big iceberg. Also, I don't think
I'd be out on a limb in saying that anything written on premodern
memory and forgetting owes a huge debt to Mary Carruthers.

This afternoon I'm lecturing partly on Bush's Memex, so that's much on
the brain, too. To respond to your question with another, Willard, I
wonder if Bush's status as a "digital cultural hero," as you put it,
is enabled by the tendency (not universal, but widespread) to forget
the rest of his career, and to invoke him exclusively as the inventor
of the Memex. Even on that point alone, some might point to the
tendency to forget that the Memex was an idea Bush refined and
popularized, rather than originated. To be clear, I'm not attributing
this tendency to your comments, Willard -- you know this history
better than most of us -- but rather to the present trend in digital
humanities to tell "heroes' histories" which depend upon strategic
forgetting as part of their memorializing. Maybe that's how all origin
myths have to work, but I'm still not comfortable with the word "hero"
(unless it's Stephen Colbert saying it).

One last book suggestion: on the Memex and its contexts, I recommend
Terry Harpold's wonderful book Ex-Foliations: Reading Machines and the
Upgrade Path (Minnesota, 2009).

All best,
Alan

--
Alan Galey
Assistant Professor

On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 3:48 AM, Humanist Discussion Group