[Humanist] 24.293 new app: FryPaper

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sun Aug 29 04:40:42 CEST 2010

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2010 12:26:56 +1000
        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>
        Subject: FryPaper

If you've been prowling around the Apple App Store you may have spotted
something I already love, though I have known it for less than an hour. Not
quite love at first sight, since I find it difficult to fall in love with
software in the process of installation, but certainly love as soon as the
FryPaper App fired up and delivered "The New Adventures of Mr Stephen Fry"
for 29 August 2010 to my iPaded gaze. There to be recommended I found
"iPhone 4: a Welcome and a Warning" (which gives me two excuses to write
about FryPaper) as well as his marvellous speech at the Royal Academy Summer
Exhibition. Here is a moment in the development in our besetting technology
to be treasured. It's free -- and also available on www.stephenfry.com.

Imagine, an intelligent and cultured man waxing enthusiastic over his mobile
phone while in the next column he talks about art to "Your Royal Highness,
Your Grace, My Lord Bishop, Your Excellencies, Honoured President,
Academicians, Lords, Ladies, Gentlemen, artists, art lovers, friends,
trustees, donors, distinguished guests and assorted media scum."