[Humanist] 24.279 e-book referencing and evolution

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Tue Aug 24 23:11:31 CEST 2010

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    James Rovira <jamesrovira at gmail.com>                      (35)
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 24.276 e-book referencing

  [2]   From:    Wendell Piez <wapiez at mulberrytech.com>                    (66)
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 24.264 e-book referencing and reading

        Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2010 17:57:16 -0400
        From: James Rovira <jamesrovira at gmail.com>

Sharon -- my only experience is with the iPad.  It does display page
numbers, but of course you're right, they're not static.  Text that is
on page 23 in a vertical orientation is on pages 44-45 in a horizontal
orientation.  I'm fairly certain that everyone using the iPad will see
the same text on the same page(s), but I should have considered that
it's very doubtful that the same text would show up on the same page
ranges in the smaller-sized Kindle or the Nook or other book readers.

I think that paragraph numbers are the only way to go, or to refer to
the print edition page numbers as another contributor suggested.  But,
that latter route can cause problems.  For example, I'm looking at a
copy of the Confessions of St. Augustine on my iPad right now, a free
text provided by Project Gutenberg (thank you!).  The front matter
informs me that the text was prepared from the 1921 Chatto & Windus
edition of the Confessions translated by Edward Pusey.

I can find quite a few versions of Pusey's text on Google books, some
reprinted very recently, but in a short search can't seem to find that
exact edition (I think there's a 1909 CW edition.  I've just
downloaded an 1838 .pdf).  So the best that I can do is read it in my
iPad, search the .pdf for the text that I want to quote, and then cite
the edition... that I'm not actually reading.  I could read the .pdf
on my iPad, and could on a Kindle if I owned one -- and then I would
have the benefit of fixed page numbers.  So perhaps the easiest route
would be to just cite editions of texts that do indeed have static
page numbers whenever possible?

I am aware that not everyone uses MLA, but suggested it because it
does establish conventions for this sort of thing and can provide some
guidance to someone not seeking to reinvent the wheel with their
citations, or seeking at least some ideas about solutions that others
have already come up with.  I think any sensible and intelligible
citation would work, though.

Jim R