[Humanist] 24.276 e-book referencing

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Mon Aug 23 21:59:42 CEST 2010

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    "Sharon K. Goetz" <skgoetz at yahoo.com>                     (33)
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 24.272 e-book referencing

  [2]   From:    Peter Organisciak <organisc at ualberta.ca>                  (45)
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 24.260 referencing a Kindle book?

        Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2010 16:19:04 -0700 (Pacific Daylight Time)
        From: "Sharon K. Goetz" <skgoetz at yahoo.com>

Jim, .mobi (Kindle-compatible) and .epub files (displayable on nearly
every other dedicated e-reader device) don't have page numbers unless
someone went to the trouble of encoding them that way. The advantage is
that text reflows depending upon the display size. (This is why I
inferred--wrongly--in my prior message that Kindle locations might be
fluid; I'm absolutely certain about .epub structure, however.) I've
noticed with archive.org .epub files that the more recently added books
often include print-equivalent pagination, but the older ones do not. None
of the dozen Kindle books I've seen--fiction titles with recent print
instances--has included print-equivalent pagination.

It'd be helpful to have original pagination reflected in electronic
derivatives, but of course not all Kindle or .epub files have print
instances, prior or otherwise. Thus Claire's question retains interest for
me--and how are we to cite specific segments of .epub texts in a coherent,
consistent manner, anyway? Counting unnumbered paragraphs is logical but a
bit difficult to execute well if one's display shows less than a full
paragraph at a time; not everyone uses MLA; etc.

Cheers,
Sharon