[Humanist] 24.269 e-book referencing and reading

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sat Aug 21 23:01:15 CEST 2010

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Claire Clivaz <claire.clivaz at unil.ch>                     (18)
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 24.260 referencing a Kindle book?

  [2]   From:    Laval Hunsucker <amoinsde at yahoo.com>                      (27)
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 24.264 e-book referencing and reading

  [3]   From:    "Laura J. Mitchell" <mitchell at uci.edu>                   (257)

        Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2010 10:26:02 +0200
        From: Claire Clivaz <claire.clivaz at unil.ch>

Dear all,

To Sharon Getz:
> I currently use only the phone app and cannot test this idea, but I find
> it striking that changing the displayed font size on one text can mean
> going immediately from location 533 to 537, or from 533 to 535, or from
> 528 to 535....
>
> Has anyone tested locations between devices?
>
> Best wishes,
> Sharon Goetz

All the Kindle applications (for Mac, I-phone, aso) give the same locations, independently from the size of the pages. As far as I have seen, Amazon does not explain to what corresponds the value number «1» in location. Here is the problem: it seems that we do not have, at the moment, a «universal» location system for digital books; Amazon has its own system. If somebody has other ideas on the topic....

To James Rovira:

> My guess is that you'd cite it as an electronic publication and cite
> the page numbers in that version of the book.

Living in Europe, I do not want to buy the paper version any more. I try to get my complete library on my computer. So, the problem of quoting correctly from a Kindle version - whatever it is, i-Phone, Mac, aso - really matters! I am also sure that we will soon get scholarly books without paper version, without «pages» to quote.

Have a good day,

Claire Clivaz