[Humanist] 24.260 referencing a Kindle book?

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Thu Aug 19 21:54:10 CEST 2010

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2010 10:32:06 +0200
        From: Claire Clivaz <claire.clivaz at unil.ch>
        Subject: Reference to a Kindle book

Dear all,

When you buy a book on a Kindle, you do not get the number of the pages of the printed book, but only «location» (you can look for passages with location's numbers).

So, what is your opinion on this issue: In an academic work, can we quote a reference from a Kindle book by replacing the number of the page by the number of the location? Or should we quote only the paper version with the number of the page?

Did somebody already quote a Kindle book with a number location in a scholarly paper?

Thank you in advance for your opinions,

Claire Clivaz (University of Lausanne, CH)