[Humanist] 24.251 iPad in the field

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Wed Aug 11 22:51:28 CEST 2010

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    "Lisa L. Spangenberg"                                     (23)
                <medievalist at digitalmedievalist.com>
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 24.247 iPad in the field?

  [2]   From:    Jockers Matthew <mjockers at stanford.edu>                   (47)

  [3]   From:    James Rovira <jamesrovira at gmail.com>                      (68)

  [4]   From:    John Laudun <jlaudun at mac.com>                             (29)

  [5]   From:    jeremy hunsinger <jhuns at vt.edu>                            (7)
        Subject: ipads in the field

        Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2010 13:15:45 -0700
        From: "Lisa L. Spangenberg" <medievalist at digitalmedievalist.com>

On Aug 10, 2010, at 1:09 PM, Humanist Discussion Group wrote:

>        Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 06:05:12 +1000
>        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>
>        Subject: iPad in the field?
>
> Does anyone here have experience or knowledge with the use of computers
> in fieldwork of any sort, not necessarily archaeological or
> anthropological, not necessarily non-urban, who can comment on the iPad
> as a tool for such work? One obvious appeal of this device is its
> physical simplicity, which suggests that it would be far more useful
> than a laptop, which one has to open up and, as a result of the hinged
> design, is awkward if not vulnerable to damage.

I haven't used it "in the field," but having just completed a book about the iPad, and taken it with me to various places, I note that while you can type on it with the digital keyboard surprisingly well, it isn't an ideal way to do data entry.

I can see it being used with a UI that was designed to minimize the need to keyboard data.

I can also see its ability to record audio being useful.

There are some early apps that do text transciption from audio (dragondictate) for the iPad but it's not trainable, and depends on access to a reliable network to do the evaluation of the audio in order to transcribe.

Also, a couple of earlier efforts at deciphering script, but those are not terribly reliable.

I am seeing it used to display manuals for, say., copier repair with diagrams and procedures.

Lisa

--
Lisa L. Spangenberg  The iPad Project Book
PeachPit Press, September 2010