[Humanist] 24.237 new publications: DHQ 4.1; Literature and the Brain

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Tue Aug 3 22:40:09 CEST 2010

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>          (33)
        Subject: new book

  [2]   From:    Julia Flanders <julia_flanders at brown.edu>                 (22)
        Subject: DHQ issue 4.1 now available

        Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2010 06:29:52 +1000
        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>

Norman H. Holland, Literature and the Brain.

         This book goes straight to the basic human questions about
         literature when it explains how our brains convert the imaginary
         events of stories, poems, plays, and films into real pleasure.
         Our brains can do this, because we know in our frontal lobes
         that we cannot act to change our posteriorly processed
         perceptions of the literary work. This is only one of the
         special ways our brains react as we go from the creation of
         literature to being transported, to “poetic faith,” to
         enjoyment, to meaning, and finally to evaluation. Each of these
         parts of the literary process draws on brain processes in an
         unusual way. /Literature and the Brain / describes and explains
         these brain changes, giving us a new understanding of what we do
         when we do literature and why we do it.

         Read more  http://www.literatureandthebrain.com/blurbs.htm
         See a video
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2K1PmzEJxk&feature=player_profilepage

         Available as —

         Hardcover $44.95 Support independent publishing: buy this book.
          http://www.lulu.com/commerce/index.php?fBuyContent=6612776

         Paperback $24.95 Support independent publishing: buy this book.
          http://www.lulu.com/commerce/index.php?fBuyContent=4054314

         Download  $9.95 Support independent publishing: buy this book.
          http://www.lulu.com/commerce/index.php?fBuyContent=6612776

All profits from this book will go to support the PsyArt Foundation
 http://www.psyart.org/  and the psychological study of the arts.