[Humanist] 24.300 tainted app

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Wed Sep 1 01:53:24 CEST 2010

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 07:54:35 -0700 (PDT)
        From: Laval Hunsucker <amoinsde at yahoo.com>
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 24.296 tainted app

Perhaps I may be allowed to say that I would personally
be pleased if Jan Christoph Meister's question yesterday
from Hamburg, "Is this what we as Humanists and
custodians of man's critical faculty should really aspire to
and propagate?", and the one that immediately followed it,
will not be received in this forum as, in effect, only
rhetorical ones. ( Maybe I'm not the only one who was
coincidentally almost as gratified to see them crop up here
as I was to see Julianne Nyhan's extremely apt contribution
from Trier that came through a bit later, on the other current
thread of "designing an academic DH department". )

One thing that does puzzle me, though, is the apparent
abandon with which the characterization "postmodern"
has been, here yet again, and seemingly gratuitously,
tossed in at a couple of points to underscore, as it were,
the indignatory or condemnatory flavor of the passage
concerned. I hardly want to single out JCM on this ;  and
maybe -- though that's not really clear to me -- he had
better reasons to apply such terminology than many of
those who ( in my opinion ) cavalierly do so. Or possibly
I am myself just missing some important message here.

But to be more positive :  maybe it would on the other
hand be appropriate and/or helpful, not least so in the
present discussion, to ask whether Latour might not indeed
have been on the right track when he emphatically -- in
fact on his very title page -- proposed that "Nous n'avons
jamais été modernes" ?

- Laval Hunsucker
Breukelen, Nederland