[Humanist] 23.788 events: collaboration; community collections

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Fri Apr 30 09:50:56 CEST 2010

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Alun Edwards <alun.edwards at oucs.ox.ac.uk>                 (16)
        Subject: Free workshop: community collections 26 May Oxford

  [2]   From:    I-CHASS <chass at ncsa.uiuc.edu>                             (50)
        Subject: ARTCA Summit Explores Collaboration Across the Americas

        Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 16:29:36 +0100
        From: Alun Edwards <alun.edwards at oucs.ox.ac.uk>

Community collections, (like The Great War Archive www.oucs.ox.ac.uk/ww1lit/gwa), help to harness the collective resources of a wider community and spread the costs of creating and contributing to a collection across the education and public sectors. A community can also be harnessed to enrich an existing collection with tags or comments (like Galaxy Zoo, www.galaxyzoo.org). Oxford University would like to invite those interested in such projects to take part in a free RunCoCo workshop on 26 May (http://projects.oucs.ox.ac.uk/runcoco/events/index.html).

The RunCoCo workshop has a number of purposes:

 - This is a chance for managers and others from community collection projects to share best practice and exchange knowledge.

 - This will be an opportunity for projects with some shared interests to meet face-to-face. The JISC-funded project, RunCoCo, has launched an online 'community of interest' (http://groups.google.com/group/runcoco - follow the link on the right of that Web page to Join This Group) for those involved in community collection or working to harness a community to enrich an existing collection with tags or comments. In the past Oxford has done this successfully for other subjects (like teaching First World War literature). However, these ventures have a better chance of working well when participants have met in person.

 - RunCoCo will disseminate the processes, CoCoCo open-source software and results of the Great War Archive, a pilot community collection project based at Oxford, which ran for 3 months in 2008. We are also making this material available online on the RunCoCo website so this will be your chance to help ensure the resources are correctly focussed on what projects need to run this kind of initiative.

 - Be an opportunity to hear from a number of projects such as Citizen Science, Galaxy Zoo and East London Lives 2012, as well as Dr Andrew Flinn, UCL and Chris Batt OBE, author of Digitisation, Curation and Two-Way Engagement. The JISC Strategic Content Alliance will lead a Q&A surgery on the issues surrounding copyright and IPR.

Places are limited, and a similar event exclusively for Oxford projects was over-subscribed. So please register your interest (providing as much information as possible in support of your application) by completing our form on SurveyMonkey at http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/runcoco26may by 1200 on 14 May 2010. We will confirm your place as soon as possible after that date. We look forward to welcoming participants from a wide range of education or public sector projects.

The meeting will be held 10.00am - 5.00pm, at OUCS, 13 Banbury Road, Oxford OX26NN. Lunch and other refreshments will be provided free-of-charge. Further details will be available soon at http://runcoco.oucs.ox.ac.uk/events/index.html

(RunCoCo will run two further free training workshops during Summer 2010. Venues and dates are to be confirmed, but we anticipate one will be held in Wales and one in northern England or Scotland).

For further information about the JISC-funded RunCoCo project please see http://runcoco.oucs.ox.ac.uk/ or email Alun Edwards, Project Manager at runcoco at oucs.ox.ac.uk

Alun Edwards
Manager of RunCoCo | Learning Technologies Group | Oxford University Computing Services | 13 Banbury Road | Oxford OX26NN
E: runcoco at oucs.ox.ac.uk
W: http://runcoco.oucs.ox.ac.uk/ RunCoCo: how to run a community collection online