[Humanist] 23.766 meaning by images; tools for humanists

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Wed Apr 21 12:10:15 CEST 2010

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    John Laudun <jlaudun at mac.com>                              (4)
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 23.760 skills for humanities computing

  [2]   From:    Melissa Terras <m.terras at ucl.ac.uk>                       (84)
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 23.757 meaning by images

  [3]   From:    lachance at chass.utoronto.ca                                 (2)

        Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 10:21:57 -0500
        From: John Laudun <jlaudun at mac.com>

On 2010-04-10, at 07:54 , Humanist Discussion Group wrote:

> There is one absolute requirement for Humanities Computing: you must
> belong to the TEI.

And those of us not working with texts are simply not part of humanities computing?

        Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 16:33:19 +0100
        From: Melissa Terras <m.terras at ucl.ac.uk>

There is a lot written in Art History about the reuse and "visual
quoting" of images that could be usefully applied to the digital realm.
A good starting point is "Metapictures" in W. J. T. Mitchell's "Picture
Theory", Uni of Chicago Press, 1994. (A primary text for art history
students).

Melissa

On 09/04/2010 12:18, Humanist Discussion Group wrote:
>                   Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 23, No. 757.
>           Centre for Computing in the Humanities, King's College London
>
>    [1]   From:    Elli Mylonas<elli_mylonas at brown.edu>                      (15)
>          Subject: Re: [Humanist] 23.752 meaning by images
>
>    [2]   From:    "Conway, Paul"<pconway at umich.edu>                         (18)
>          Subject: transposition of meaning by images?

>          Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2010 09:29:44 -0400
>          From: Elli Mylonas<elli_mylonas at brown.edu>
>          Subject: Re: [Humanist] 23.752 meaning by images
>
> "Reflexive Representations", work from 2006 by Ian Russell, who is
> currently a postdoc here at Brown may be of relevance. He and his
> collaborators have worked with photomosaics made up of images from the
> web, to highlight and illustrate the interplay between how things are
> identified (tagged) and what we may imagine or expect when doing a
> search for a particular keyword. Their context is archaeology, so for
> ex. they look for words like "Greece" and make photomosaics of
> Parthenon metopes, using what comes up when you look for "Greece" in
> flickr or other sites.
>
> See http://www.iarchitectures.com/rrexhibit.html
> The site has further bibliography. --elli
>
> [Elli Mylonas
> Center for Digital Scholarship
>    Brown University
>    library.brown.edu/cds]

[...]

--
Melissa M. Terras MA MSc DPhil CLTHE CITP FHEA
Senior Lecturer in Electronic Communication

Tel: 020-7679-7206 (direct), 020-7679-7204 (dept), 020-7383-0557 (fax)
Email: m.terras at ucl.ac.uk
Web: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/infostudies/melissa-terras/
Blog: http://melissaterras.blogspot.com/

Deputy Manager, UCL Centre for Digital Humanities: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/dh/