[Humanist] 23.757 meaning by images

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Fri Apr 9 13:18:30 CEST 2010

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Elli Mylonas <elli_mylonas at brown.edu>                     (15)
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 23.752 meaning by images

  [2]   From:    "Conway, Paul" <pconway at umich.edu>                        (18)
        Subject: transposition of meaning by images?

        Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2010 09:29:44 -0400
        From: Elli Mylonas <elli_mylonas at brown.edu>

"Reflexive Representations", work from 2006 by Ian Russell, who is
currently a postdoc here at Brown may be of relevance. He and his
collaborators have worked with photomosaics made up of images from the
web, to highlight and illustrate the interplay between how things are
identified (tagged) and what we may imagine or expect when doing a
search for a particular keyword. Their context is archaeology, so for
ex. they look for words like "Greece" and make photomosaics of
Parthenon metopes, using what comes up when you look for "Greece" in
flickr or other sites.

See http://www.iarchitectures.com/rrexhibit.html
The site has further bibliography. --elli

[Elli Mylonas
Center for Digital Scholarship
  Brown University
  library.brown.edu/cds]