[Humanist] 23.744 slaves or companions

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sat Apr 3 07:18:39 CEST 2010

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    amsler at cs.utexas.edu                                      (34)
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 23.742 slaves in chains or our companions?

  [2]   From:    "Zafrin, Vika" <vzafrin at bu.edu>                           (39)

        Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2010 08:08:42 -0500
        From: amsler at cs.utexas.edu

The closest I've come to relating to a computer as anything more than
a machine is in using TIVO, the programmable digital recorder. The
image that I frequently evoke is one of a television butler, a
household servant. While such an image 'could' be of a 'slave' it
would in more modern times be that of a person hired to perform a
specific task. The main conflict is that TIVO is still not much more
intelligent than a dog. It's scheduling algorithm needs constant
monitoring because it fails to make the same decisions about how to
resolve conflicts in recording two shows at once that I would make.
Fails to recognize solutions that involve skipping shows that will be
rebroadcast multiple times to record shows of lesser priority that
will only be broadcast once.

However, it sets up the paradigm for the future. Think of the services
that the wealthy hire people to perform for them today and imagine
computers being brought into use to provide those same services for
the general public in the future.

It's neither symbiosis nor slavery.

The problem with 'slavery' is that (among many) that it assumed the
'slave' is intelligent enough to make human-level decisions. The
problem with 'symbiosis' is that it assumes the symbiote is
trustworthy at the level of your own body or mind. Neither of these is
likely to be possible for some time. What we'll get it tentative
trials of an entity hired to carry out a task with a presumption of
monitoring their actions rather closely until it becomes clear what
the entity is capable of doing reliably.

I guess the question of whether dogs trained to perform tasks, fetch
the paper, alert the owner to someone or something approaching, etc.
are in 'slavery' of some sort? Do we put lesser life forms into
'slavery' when we keep them as pets? I suppose it could be considered
that way. We hold the power of life and death over them. They are
considered property. They are returned to us if they run away. The
only modern modification to the slavery pact is that government
organizations require certain standards of conduct from the owners and
regulate the types of animals we can keep as pets.