[Humanist] 23.743 new transcription initiative

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Fri Apr 2 07:53:49 CEST 2010

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2010 11:32:38 -0400
        From: Julia Flanders <Julia_Flanders at brown.edu>
        Subject: WWP announces new transcription initiative

The Women Writers Project is pleased to announce a groundbreaking new
digital humanities initiative designed to address ongoing problems
faced by numerous text encoding projects, particularly those dealing
with early print and manuscript materials. Like many such projects,
the WWP has struggled with the challenges of dealing with special
characters (especially those not represented in Unicode) and with the
ongoing problem of overlapping hierarchies, which despite several
decades of research remains essentially unresolved. In addition, we
have been alarmed by rising server costs and increased internet
security risks.

begin transitioning its transcription of early women's writing to a
new paper-based platform, and by the end of the year we expect to be
transcribing and distributing texts entirely in manuscript.
Transcription will be done, as always, by trained graduate students,
working with pen and ink from images of the source text. The script is
a modified italic hand that has been optimized for speed and
legibility, as well as for quick training. The transcription captures
all line breaks, capitalization, long s, and special characters. A
sample text (an excerpt from Mary Squire's "A Proposal to Determine
Our Longitude", 1731) is available at http://www.wwp.brown.edu/encoding/research/gfx/wwp_ms_sample.pdf
. We are still experimenting with paper quality standards and problems
with bleeding, as well as questions of optimal ink color.

Structural features of the text will be represented using what are
often referred to as "bibliographic codes", through which information
about each textual unit is conveyed unobtrusively through formatting
such as indentation, font shifts, and spacing. Because these codes do
not involve explicit delimiters, unlike XML, they do not risk overlap
problems and are in many cases easier to apply than traditional TEI
tags. In addition, because each character is formed by hand,
transcribers can replicate any character exactly, without being
limited to characters represented in Unicode. These considerations are
of particular importance in the WWP textbase, where non-Unicode
characters are common (as in the sample shown) and where the familiar
generic structures represented by tagsets like the TEI are not always
present.

Access to Women Writers Online will be somewhat more limited once this
project is complete. We will be funding student transcribers at
academic institutions regionally across the US and Europe, who will
transcribe texts on demand as needed by WWO users, and these will be
delivered by the local postal service, usually within 4-6 business
days. Although not searchable in conventional ways, these texts are
guaranteed to be durable (research suggests that if kept away from
moisture and direct sunlight, the new WWO texts may last for several
centuries) and will remain legible indefinitely. They are free from
hardware and software dependencies and can be read and used on
airplanes and in deep caves where access to wireless and power may be
limited.

This new approach still adheres to our fundamental principles of using
non-proprietary, standards-based, software- and hardware-independent
platforms for publication, while also providing other advantages as
well. We hope this effort to "put the digits back in 'digital'" will
be of interest to other members of the digital humanities community!
Enjoy the first of April--

Best wishes from the WWP team